It’s been a long day at work and the only thing you want to do is sink into your bed. For many of us, our beds are a place of solace at the end of a hard day. As we spend a third of lives in bed, either sleeping or trying to, our beds are more important than we think, but as much as we love them they could be making us sick.
Here are 5 ways your bed is making you sick:
- An old bed might not be giving us the support and comfort we need in order to get quality sleep. A lack of quality sleep can compromise your immune system and make you more susceptible to colds and flu.
- Old mattresses can become a playground for dust mites and bacteria. Dust mites live on moisture and dead skin cells that accumulate in out mattresses over time. It’s gross, we know, but what’s even worse is that it might be causing your allergies or worsening your asthma.
- According to researchers at Penn State College of Medicine, lack of sleep combined with existing heart disease risk factors can double your chances of having a heart attack.
- Waking up with aches, pains and stiffness are signs that your bed is not offering you the support you need in order to get a good night’s rest. These aches and pains impact our quality of life and stop us from enjoying activities with our friends and family.
- Tossing and turning on an old, uncomfortable bed could be the reason behind weight gain. Sleep helps us regulate the hormones in our bodies that control our appetite. When we don’t get enough sleep, we might start reaching for unhealthy food that can lead to weight gain and diabetes over time.
We offer a wide range of bed sets and mattresses to suit your needs and budget. Our Dynamic Orthopaedic range combines the very best technologies to give you superior support and comfort. Visit your nearest store today and wake up rested and healthier.